Workplace Safety Watch – December 2020

03 December: Ramesh Kumar (35) died after a wall collapsed at a pumping station of HPCL in Visakhapatnam due to heavy water seepage. Police have registered a case of accidental death.

05 December: Bagyanathan (48) a Tangedco wireman and a contract worker Dayalan (38) died of electrocution while attending to an electricity fault in the Injambakkam area of Kancheepuram.

07 December: Chintu (22) and Kotesh (25) died of asphyxiation while constructing a sump at an under-construction building in Hyderabad’s Asif Nagar. Family members and co-workers demanded compensation, the police has registered a case under section 174 (suspicious death) of the CrPC.

09 December: Prem Ananta Bhoir (24) and Akshay Ashok Gautam (21) died and four others were severely injured in a nitrogen cylinder explosion at JE Mechanical factory in Thane.

15 December: Jyoti Sahu died and 5 others were injured after the porch of an under-construction private hospital building collapsed in Rajnandgaon in Chhattisgarh.

19 December: Saina (36), Guddi (45), Twinkle (25) and Ramesh (35) died and two others were injured in a factory roof collapse in West Delhi’s Khayala that housed a motor-winding unit. Police registered a case of death by negligence and the factory owner, Mahender Pal, who also owns the building, has been arrested. South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) officials said the factory had been running illegally and consequently they suspended the licence inspector.

21 December: Rambabu (50) died at an under-construction site at a private school in Gandhi Nagar police station area after a portion of mud caved in. Police registered a case of death due to negligence against the contractor responsible for completing the construction work.

22 December: Two IFFCO officials VP Singh and Abhyanandan Kumar died and 16 other employees fell sick after a major Ammonia gas leak at IFFCO’s Phulpur plant near Allahabad. State government has launched an investigation and announced Rs. 4 lakh compensation each to the families of the victims.

26 December: Yugal Kishore (50) died after inhaling toxic smoke after a fire broke out in a mask manufacturing factory in Mayapuri industrial area in Delhi. Police have registered a case under sections 285 and 304A of the IPC.

Translate »