Workplace Safety Watch – February 2019

Construction

On 17 February Raghunath (55) a worker working at the site of an IT complex in Sector 6, Noida, Uttar Pradesh died as the basement he was working in caved in.

On 9 February 1 worker died and 3 others were grievously injured at Chinna Jeeyar Swamy mutt, Papanasanam in Tirupati, Tamil Nadu. Workers were involved in digging the soil at the mutt, soft soil collapsed trapping workers under the rubbles.

Manufacturing

On 23 February 13 workers Chandu, Kalam, Gaffar, Azad, Israfil, Masawwar, Sukran, Qadir, Ata-ur, Kaliyar Mansoori, Irfan Mansoori and Abid Mansoori died and several others were grievously injured due to an explosion at the carpet manufacturing factory in Bhadohi, Uttar Pradesh.  Kaliyar Mansoori the owner was involved in manufacturing and selling firecrackers illegally inside the premises.

Babloo Mahto (28) died on 19 February after fire engulfed the footwear manufacturing factory in Narela Industrial Area, New Delhi where he was employed.  He was sleeping in the basement of the factory when the fire spread in the 3-storey building. The factory was operating in the building without the requisite permissions and safety checks from the authorities.

The police have registered a case against the owner of the factory Ankur Goel under Sections 285 (Negligent conduct with respect to fire or combustible mat­ter) and 304(A) (causing death by negligence) of Indian Penal Code.

On 16 February, 2 workers Saroj Kumar Das (38) and Nayan Kumar Dandaya (38) died when the hook of a crane loaded with molten iron broke down. The workers were working in SAW pipe manufacturing plant of Jindal Saw Ltd. owned by the O P Jindal group company in Samaghogha village in Mundra taluka, Kutch district in Gujarat.

On 11 February 5 workers Sanjib Paria, Paltu Duari, Subodh Roy, Nityananda Roy and Munnaprasad Pry all aged between 30-40 years died after a fire broke out in a 3-storey plastic furniture manufacturing factory at New Barackpore, North 24 Parganas, West Bengal. The fire broke out in the plastic molding section of the factory which then spread to the other sections. The factory was functioning without the requisite safety measures and persmissions from government authorities.

Translate »